In my fifth compilation of the canine and feline endocrine publications of 2012, I’m moving on to disorders of the canine thyroid gland. Listed below are 26 research papers written in 2012 that deal with a variety of thyroid gland topics and issues of clinical importance.
These range from use of recombinant human thyrotropin for diagnosis and an an aid to treatment in dogs with hypothyroidism and thyroid tumors (1,2) to case reports of congenital hypothyroidism in dogs (3,5,9); from studies of the effects of hypothyroidism on glucose metabolism (6) or aggression (20) to studies of thyroid carcinoma (7,11,17,19,25,26).
Other studies included dietary hyperthyroidism in a dog (8) to the reproductive effects of hypothyroidism in dogs (16); and finally, from ectopic thyroid tissue (7,22) to an evaluation of quantitative thyroid scintigraphy as a diagnostic test for dogs (24).
- Campos M, Peremans K, Vandermeulen E, et al. Effect of recombinant human thyrotropin on the uptake of radioactive iodine (123-I) in dogs with thyroid tumors. PLoS One 2012;7:e50344.
- Campos M, van Hoek I, Peremans K, et al. Recombinant human thyrotropin in veterinary medicine: current use and future perspectives. J Vet Intern Med 2012;26:853-862.
- Dodgson SE, Day R, Fyfe JC. Congenital hypothyroidism with goiter in Tenterfield terriers. J Vet Intern Med 2012;26:1350-1357.
- Fyfe JC, Lynch M, Olsen J, et al. A thyroid peroxidase (TPO) mutation in dogs reveals a canid-specific gene structure. Mamm Genome 2012.
- Gal A, Raetzman LT, Singh K. Congenital adenohypophyseal hypoplasia associated with secondary hypothyroidism in a 2-week-old Portuguese water dog. Can Vet J 2012;53:659-664.
- Hofer-Inteeworn N, Panciera DL, Monroe WE, et al. Effect of hypothyroidism on insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance in dogs. Am J Vet Res 2012;73:529-538.
- Kang MH, Kim DY, Park HM. Ectopic thyroid carcinoma infiltrating the right atrium of the heart in a dog. Can Vet J 2012;53:177-181.
- Köhler B, Stengel D, Neiger R. Dietary hyperthyroidism in dogs. J Small Anim Pract 2012;53:182-184.
- Kuczynski LA, Schwartz P, Peddle G, et al. Goiter with vascular anomalies in a litter of Polish Lowland sheepdogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2012;48:278-283.
- Lowrie M, De Risio L, Dennis R, et al. Concurrent medical conditions and long-term outcome in dogs with nontraumatic intracranial hemorrhage. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2012;53:381-388.
- Metivier KS, Deitz K, Xu WW, et al. Gene expression profiling demonstrates differential expression of osteopontin in follicular thyroid carcinomas compared to normal thyroid tissue in dogs. Vet Comp Oncol 2012;doi: 10.1111/j.1476-5829.2012.00348:1-17.
- Muntener T, Schuepbach-Regula G, Frank L, et al. Canine noninflammatory alopecia: a comprehensive evaluation of common and distinguishing histological characteristics. Vet Dermatol 2012;23:206-e244.
- Nakamura RK, Russell NJ, Shelton GD. Adult-onset nemaline myopathy in a dog presenting with persistent atrial standstill and primary hypothyroidism. J Small Anim Pract 2012;53:357-360.
- Narula HS. Accidental thyrotoxicosis caused by inadvertent ingestion of levothyroxine "dog-tabs" by a veterinarian with hypothyroidism. Am J Med 2012;125:e3.
- Nelson LL, Coelho JC, Mietelka K, et al. Pharyngeal pouch and cleft remnants in the dog and cat: a case series and review. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2012;48:105-112.
- Panciera DL, Purswell BJ, Kolster KA, et al. Reproductive effects of prolonged experimentally induced hypothyroidism in bitches. J Vet Intern Med 2012;26:326-333.
- Pessina P, Castillo V, Araujo M, et al. Expression of thyroid-specific transcription factors in thyroid carcinoma, contralateral thyroid lobe and healthy thyroid gland in dogs. Res Vet Sci 2012;93:108-113.
- Piechotta M, Jens R, Rick M, et al. Serum transthyretin concentration is decreased in dogs with nonthyroidal illness. Vet Clin Pathol 2012;41:110-113.
- Proverbio D, Spada E, Perego R, et al. Potential variant of multiple endocrine neoplasia in a dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2012;48:132-138.
- Radosta LA, Shofer FS, Reisner IR. Comparison of thyroid analytes in dogs aggressive to familiar people and in non-aggressive dogs. Vet J 2012;192:472-475.
- Ricci R, Bevilacqua F. The potential role of leptin and adiponectin in obesity: a comparative review. Vet J 2012;191:292-298.
- Roth DR, Perentes E. Ectopic thyroid tissue in the periaortic area, cardiac cavity and aortic valve in a Beagle dog - a case report. Exp Toxicol Pathol 2012;64:243-245.
- Scott-Moncrieff JC. Thyroid disorders in the geriatric veterinary patient. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2012;42:707-725.
- Shiel RE, Pinilla M, McAllister H, et al. Assessment of the value of quantitative thyroid scintigraphy for determination of thyroid function in dogs. J Small Anim Pract 2012;53:278-285.
- Tuohy JL, Worley DR, Withrow SJ. Outcome following simultaneous bilateral thyroid lobectomy for treatment of thyroid gland carcinoma in dogs: 15 cases (1994-2010). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2012;241:95-103.
- Urie BK, Russell DS, Kisseberth WC, et al. Evaluation of expression and function of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2, platelet derived growth factor receptors-alpha and -beta, KIT, and RET in canine apocrine gland anal sac adenocarcinoma and thyroid carcinoma. BMC Vet Res 2012;8:67.